Thursday, October 14, 2010

Night Notices

     The night has a way of intensifying everything, while retaining a mysterious quality.  In the dark, things are revealed that weren't visible during the day.  In a book I just read, (I will probably refer to books a lot, because as I said, I love books and reading) two people are locked together in a room where the lights are out.  They talk, and they hear meanings in the darkness which would have been difficult.  Your tone of voice can tell a lot, so can your facial expression, but I wanted to try it.  In the backseat of the car when we were talking, I didn't actually close my eyes to listen, however I did focus more on the words being said and (even if it's not really a concrete study being done only once and knowing the people with me) I would say that there is a big difference.  You can discover a lot.  And I challenge you, whomever reads this, to try it.  Try talking to people when the lights are out and all you are able to do is listen to voices.
     Tonight it got dark quite early, in my opinion, although that tends to happen when one is inside and unaware of the darkening of the sky and the setting of the sun.  This night chillier than usual and I was unprepared for it. (Do not get me wrong, I love cold weather.  Especially snow.  Snow has a tendency to brighten up the world, bring a smile and a kinship to people.)  However, as my dad and 2 of my siblings were driving from my grandma's (Yes, I am a type of girl who spends two nights a week [at least] having dinner with her grandma.) to the airport where my Mom was coming in;(she went down to Florida with a friend- go figure, mom gets to go to Disneyworld.) an effort to surprise her. 
          When we got inside of the airport, it was entering into a basically deserted place. (it's not an overly populated airport- especially around 11 pm) Have you ever been somewhere in the off hours (with permission)?  Or perhaps you've seen the movie All American Mall or Mall Cop.  They touch up on the time of day where no one is around and it's a different atmosphere entirely.  It's a different place than it was before with the bustle of people around.  It's the same for roads and highways.  If I did not have my family with me, I might get scared- I'm a scaredy cat (but I don't tell people that)- being all alone in an abandoned-looking open place, but with my family there, it was as if I could do anything and it would be fine.  Like I could do a cartwheel in the middle of the titled floor and I wouldn't be thought of as crazy by the security guards (well, I might be, and I hope they wouldn't throw me out.).  The night brings a sense of freedom.
     I probably will discuss nighttime more often- it is my favorite time of day (even if day doesn't exactly cover it, now does it?  Day is when the sun is up and night is when the sun is down.. so what represents the whole?).  However, I do not wish to scare off (I fear I may have done so already) anyone actually reading this.  I will save that for another time. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment