Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Hoot for Howl

   The Young Adult (YA) librarian has many different programs going on, and I'll blog about them later since I'm in most of them.  One of her programs is called the Foreign Films.  Where she, the librarian, plays the movie in the original form, the language with English subtitles.  She has had a lot of movies so far, but tonight was the first time I have gone to one.  I really wanted to see Princess Mononoke, but I however was unable to go that day.  But this was a film I was not missing.  It was an animated movie that I love: Howl's Moving Castle (2005).  I've seen the English version at least three times before.  (My sister was watching Christian Bale movies, he does the voice of Howl in the English version, and that's how I got hooked on it.)  This time, however, would be almost a total new experiece because it would be in Japanese with English subtitles. 
   Here's a little about the movie:
   Sophie, a diligent teenage girl working in her family's hat shop, finds her life thrown into turmoil when she is literally swept off her feet by a handsome-but-mysterious wizard named Howl. This innocent encounter engages the vain and conniving Witch of the Waste, who transforms into a 90-year-old woman. Sophie's efforts to break the curse bring her to Howl's magical moving castle, where she befriends Markl, Howl's apprentice, and the hot-headed fire demon Calcifer. Her love and support have a major impact on Howl, who can be maddeningly self-indulgent and singularly noble: He defies royal orders to participate in a meaningless war and risks his life to bring peace to the kingdom.
(Yahoo Movies)
      *sigh* I get all happy when I think about it or watch it, I'm giving excited squeels inside as I type this.  Anyway, this movie was awesome!  I can not even explain it.
     Now, there were not that many people watching the movie only about seven, including myself.  There were some snacks and water for us to enjoy.  I must say I like the movie in English better for a couple of reasons:
             1. I can understand it without reading the subtitles.
             2. The characters. Christian Bale is in IT!  As Howl he really brings a certain performance to the movie, as do the other characters.
             3. The meaning of the words.  I know, it's a foreign film so it will not translate into english exactly how it is, and when they did the english version they had to make sounds to fix the mouths.  Nevertheless, I say they did an excellent job.
     Overall, no matter what language it is, Howl's Moving Castle is a comical, endearing and a little confusing movie.  I love it! =D


Just a few more things about my day, small tibits:
  • I am now signed up to take the ACT again!  December 11, that should give me plenty of time to study... hopefully.  Agh!  The date is set; it's actually going to happen.  Quiet nerves, I've done this before.
  • I visited my sister (she's staying at my cousin's house while she goes to college Mon-Thurs), and she was babysitting for my cousin's kids.  The baby spit up on me. =/  But she's still adorable!
  • I'm watching the Dark Knight (the second Batman, also with Christian Bale), one of the greatest movies ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment