Sunday, November 7, 2010

An Extra Hour

wordcount: 11,369

Yes, I don't have word today, why?  Because I feel way to lazy, and I still want 631 more words at least for my nanowrimo story.
     I've started this blog with lots of ideas in mind, but none of them seem to fit the moment or my mood.  Shall I tell you the topics I will eventually get around to while I think of one that will be centered around this blog?  I say yes!  Ughh.. too late, I figured out a topic!! 
     I had an incredibly uneventful night, and what do you do when you have nothing to do?  Well, I don't know about you, but I get on the computer!  Usually because I know I can either find a) someone to talk to b) something to do or c) figure out that the computer is boring and get off to do something else.  Now, normally my saturdays are filled with something.  However, this saturday, my older siblings were working, and my friends were busy.  So what's a girl to do?  Go out and stalk someone?  I don't think so!  I, like a good girl, had already gotten most of my homework done.  Now that I think of it, the main reason I did nothing tonight was because I felt no spark, no motivation to do anything.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like that, but sometimes it's hard motivating yourself by yourself! It makes me want to have my own personal team of motivaters.  One team for school/homework, another one for exercising, another one for cleaning, another one for getting a job or scholarships.  Sadly, however, that is not true.  So it's all up to me!
      Anyway, as I was on the computer trying to figure out something to do besides writing for Nanowrimo (I'm at a somewhat interesting part to write, but after you write for a while, you get tired no matter what you're writing.) I looked at Yahoo.com's home page.  Yes, yahoo!  I'm a Yahoo person, I have a prejudice against Google because I think people use it too much and love it more than Yahoo, so I have to defend Yahoo every chance I get.  Yes, I argue with people about which one is better.  Do not judge.  So, as I was at yahoo's home page, I noticed the, since I do not know what to call it, I'll just say 'articles'.  I clicked on several, most of them were about stars and clothing, one was about a young Asian male turned into a 80 year old Caucasian male on a plane and one was about why the blue in movies, but the one I went to was about 9 Bathroom Cleaning Problems Solved or something, but that's not the issue.  What was the issue at the bottom of the page there were other articles!  I watched a video for 5 uses for baking powder, but I don't know if it'll actually work.  And then!  Yes, I know I run on a little, but that's the whole point of blogging.  And one of the articles was:  13 Things A Burglar Will Not Tell You.
     Now, let me say that I found this article very interesting. (http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/slideshow-13-things-a-burglar-wont-tell-you/article163491.html)  Not because I want to go about being a burglar and was looking at tips or anything, but because I want to know what I can do to keep myself safe.  Having a burglar come into my house is one of my top fears.  In fact, funny story, one time I looked out my window at like 3 in the morning and well, I'm near sighted so I can't see things faraway too good without contacts (or glasses, but I never use them) since I was getting ready for bed, I could not see very well considering the fact that I can not wear glasses or contacts to bed.  So, I look out of the window and I see our driveway and what looks like a shadow of a person near it and stuff, so I sit there and think "What do I do?" as I'm trying to discern if it's really a person or a shadow.  Since it's one of my top terrors, I get up and go to my oldest sister's room and tell her.  She does not go to check, but says I should do something, like turn on the light or something.  I can't remember if I did that or not.  In fact, I'm not sure what happened after that, I do remember going back to bed and falling asleep.  When I woke up the next day, my insecurity was already spread to my whole family.  >.<  Just like the time I didn't recognize a car in the driveway or the man who got out from it to bring us something so I didn't go to the door.  My family does not let that one go either, sadly.  They always make fun of me for not answering the door, I try to ignore it, but I don't like it when they do so. 
    Back to the article: It was from a burglar's point of view and it had 13 things of what burglars look for, what they check, and stuff.  When I read it, I was scared.  I mean, the narrator is talking about what thieves look for and I'm thinking "They actually do this?"  It's creepy knowing how close you could be from being stolen from.  I know I posted the link above, but if you don't care if you look at the pictures accompanying the article, I will give you the list of things that's written in the blog with my comments intermixed in parenthesis's ():
1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.  (Who wants to let anyone in anymore?  How can you be sure?)

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier. (That's comforting...I guess you better double check your windows/doors after someone you don't know is in your house) 
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste … and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have. (Who knew that being a botanist could make you a target?  I guess that's a good reason for parents to tell their kids to clean up after themselves.)
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.  (I find that last sentence very creepy.  The burglar coming that close to your house to see when you take the flyer?  Scaryyy)
5. If it snows while you’re out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.  (Noted)

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don’t let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it’s set. That makes it too easy. (Make sure you tell the alarm company)

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom—and your jewelry. It’s not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It’s raining, you’re fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door—understandable. But understand this: I don’t take a day off because of bad weather.  (Did you get that?  Thieves might work harder than you do.)
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I’ll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don’t take me up on it.)  (That first parentheses was not mine by the way.  Although you should listen to it.  I guess it pays to answer the door at least some of the time.)

10. Do you really think I won’t look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.  (Well, that has usually been seen in movies)
11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms. (Great, now all the valuables can go there and your kids will be even in more danger.  Thanks for the hint.  Almost never is not never though.)
12. You're right: I won’t have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.  (That is something the thief on It Takes A Thief does.)

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you’re reluctant to leave your TV on while you’re out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com.) (That wasn't my comment either.  Parents, when you're out of town, I guess it's alright for the electric bill to go up.)
Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California, and Kentucky; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs crimedoctor.com; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri–St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job.
That's spooky right, who knew that they did all of these things?  It almost makes you want to have a policeman stand guard at your house everynight or a dog.  I guess all the hassle of owning a dog might come in handy after all.  Would you want to mess with a dog?  Do any of the 13 things listed above surprise you? 
    On a completely different note, I almost thought about making another blog for this, but I thought why?  Yes, to avoid confusing and make it clearer to read, but that's what these two sentences were for.  One of my favorite shows is: The Vampire Diaries.  You might be thinking, "Oh my gosh, another vampire freak?"  Well, yes.  I am, sort of.  I've read a lot of vampire books, and liked them alot too.  In fact, I even read the Vampire Diaries, so that's what got me started on watching the show on the WB (which I don't have that channel, but who cares?  The internet has it!)
   Well, ever since the beginning, I've loved Damon more than his brother, Stefan.  He's exactly the guy you want to stay away from, but he's so cute!  And he acts adorable, and he really has a heart hidden beneath all of this arrogance and unfeeling shield, but it's there.  My sister will probably spread this around tomorrow, but I cried watching the newest episode of Vampire Diaries and I'm not afraid to tell you readers since I can delete comments, but I can not delete what my family will say.  The reason I cried, or at least what started the tears although I have a feeling that it was not this alone: that (SPOILER ALERT, so if you don't want to know what happened on the newest episode- idk what episode, then don't read this) Damon went and saw Elena, the girl he's convinced he's in love with (should be me, I'm kidding!).  His brother is also in love with her, but Elena thinks (i'm not really sure, although she thinks she is) she loves Stefan more.  When Damon was there, he told Elena that he loved her, and because he loved her, he could not be selfish with her and therefore.. he let her go.  He told her that he loved her and then he said that he didn't deserve her, but Stefan did.  Ahh I dislike it when love is lost like that, but I would feel sorry for Stefan if Elena was with Damon.  Then he erases her memory and leaves!  So she doesn't even know!  And he cried!  A tear actually slid down his gorgeous face!  And his voice was breaking and he was so sweet!  So, yes, I cried.  (I cry in movies and with books, too when it's sad enough.  Like in Charlie St. Cloud.  *sigh* crying makes me tired)
    At least tonight was a good night to stay up.  Do you want to know why?  Because tonight is daylight saving's time, November 6-7, at 2o'clock a.m. the clocks turned back.  It went from 1 o'clock to 1:59 and then back to 1!  So right now it's actually about 3 o'clock instead of 2.  Which makes me sad since I still have about 700 words to meet my personal goal for the day.  Yay me. =D  At least I have this longer than normal blog completed!  Wooo!  Yikes! 2,148 words were in this blog from the point before I said "yikes", true some of them (the 13 things) were not my own, but still!  It's a pretty steep number.
~Ha, I posted this blog without a title.  Oops.  That's why they make the "edit" button.

1 comment:

  1. I know the number about the "almost never go in a kid's room," isn't good enough, but it still comforted me. As a kid I was always afraid the burglar would come in my room and kidnap me or something. The only thing that comforted me would they would be looking for items and not children, haha.

    btw- u sux 2!
    (but not really.)

    ReplyDelete